Musketeers a.k.a. What happens when you leave me alone, and bored, on a Sunday afternoon

As I already explained in the previous post a few months ago, it all happened one Sunday afternoon when I was too bored to do anything, but not yet so bored as to stare at the ceiling.

I was channel-surfing and suddenly stumbled upon a "new" series on a Croatian TV channel.
Now, I usually skip Croatian TV channels, it's a peeve of mine, but I lingered, because it was in English (I overlooked the subtitles which always make me laugh), it looked historical (which I love), and it featured four cute guys speaking the Queen's English.

Oh, joy.

Historical, British, eye-candy...What more could a bored gal want on a Sunday afternoon? (It's a rhetorical question.) In the end, it turned out to be a BBC miniseries retelling the tale of The Three Musketeers. Even better, since The Three Musketeers was my favorite book growing up. I just loved the story, the voice, the swashbuckling adventure, the intrigue...

And although when I was growing up, I was rather partial to d'Artagnan (a partiality that lingered with me through The Man in the Iron Mask, who cares about Leo DiCaprio, give me Gabriel Byrne), it was Aramis that caught my eye in this latest retelling of the tale.
I don't know if it was the looks, the twinkle in the eye, the humor, the "Latin lover" vibe...no clue, but he caught my attention.

It turned out my first foray into the TV Musketeer world happened in the last half of the ninth episode of the first season, and my reaction when he hooked up with the Queen (I don't consider this a spoiler; if you're reading the fanfiction, you know what's all about) was rather disproportionate, if I say so mayself.
Now, I repeat, I caught the second half of the penultimate episode, I had no idea of the back story, of the "relationship" he might have had with the Queen in the first eight episodes. To me, he was an utter idiot for risking his life by boinking the Queen. Off with his head and all that jazz. You don't screw your married Queen, it's just not done.

And when it was revealed the Cardinal had ordered a hit on her because she was barren, I knew where it was all going. And when, in the last episode of the first season, it was revealed the Queen was preggers, I had my proof.
The guy was an idiot for falling for the most transparent trick ever. She used him as her personal sperm bank.
Hat off to the gal for the idea, but the guy was still an idiot.

And this is where a story was formed...I wanted to write my own take on the thing (and no, the Queen and Aramis don't end up together, you're warned ahead of time). I also decided not to watch any episodes until I finished writing my fanfic. And I still haven't watched any, because I'm stuck on the last chapter. *hangs her head in shame*

So here it is—my Musketeers story. I hope you like it. I sure do. ;)


0 comments