Crash and Burn - Chapter 2

Nā nuhou

Hawaii State Capitol, 415 S. Beretania Street, Honolulu, 10 a.m.

Reena followed the newly appointed acting governor of Hawaii into his office, murmuring appreciatively. “Well, you sure moved up, Governor Hawthorne.”

Marc turned to her, smiled, and nodded toward the door. “Close that and drop the ‘Governor Hawthorne’.” He smirked at her clothing choice of the day. “The official spiel doesn’t go with the ensemble, Leather Chick. And I don’t think you’ve convinced anyone you’re legit.”

Reena shrugged, dropped into a chair in front of the big desk, and lifted her leather-clad legs, perching her booted feet on the surface. “I showed them the credentials, how I dress in my free time is no one’s business but mine.”

“It’s not really your free time, is it? You’re accompanying the new governor to his offices.”

She glanced at the clock on the desk. “No, that should go down in about three hours. It’s not my fault the governor decided to come in early.”

Marc dropped into his chair and looked at her archly. “I don’t like protocol.” He looked at her still-perched-on-his-desk feet. “Reen, feet.”

“Yeah, mine. What of them.”

“They should be on the floor.”

“I was cramped in the chopper.”

He chuckled. “No surprise, with all that leather.”

“You did promise me a bike when we got here.”

He nodded. “And I delivered. It was nice hearing it rumble behind the cab.”

Reena made a shocked sound. “Woe to us, the new governor arrived at his office early and in a cab. What will the public think?”

“That he’s a badass with an even more badass bodyguard.”

“I don’t know about the bodyguard spiel, but badass I like.” She smiled. “I bet I can still take you.”

Marc winked. “Well, yeah. You’re short and slippery. I’m sure that could be considered cheating.”

She stuck out her tongue. “Hey, it’s not my fault I’m short. Blame Mother Nature for that.”

His smile turned tender. “I love you, kiddo.”

“I love you, too, Muffin.”

Marc groaned. “Don’t use that nickname. I beg you.”

Reena grinned. “I won’t if you drop the mushy stuff.”

“I can’t help it, I love you.”

“And I love you, too, Muffin.”

“Reen,” he growled.

“Marc,” she replied sweetly. “Shall we get down to business. I have places to be, things still to do before the sun sets.”

“Fine.”

“Good.” She nodded. “Give me the missing info from the file.”

His eyes narrowed. “I told you, it’s not important.”

“That’s for me to decide.”

He sighed. “Look, you’re here, you’re committed. There’ll be plenty of time to provide additional info if, and I repeat if, you need it.”

She didn’t like the evasiveness, but she’d refrain from hacking into his computer. First, because it’d be dishonest, and second, because he’d know. “Fine, I’ll let it go. For now.” She wiggled a bit to get more comfortable, crossed her ankles on the desk. “So tell me about these Five-0s everybody’s raving about.”




Five-0 Headquarters, 10.30 a.m.

Steve McGarrett looked up from a file when his partner Danny Williams stormed into his office.

“It boggles the mind.”

Steve decided not to question what boggled Danny’s mind, since his observation skills registered his partner was on a roll.

“The rich and powerful just do whatever they want, whenever they want, regardless of appointments or their safety.”

Seeing Danny’s rather expectant expression, Steve concluded it was time for him to pitch in. “Do you have a particular rich and powerful individual in mind or are you speaking of the rich and powerful in general?”

Danny huffed. “The new governor.”

“What about him?”

“He strolled into his office half an hour ago.”

“What?”

“See? It boggles the mind.”

Steve crossed his arms over his chest and assumed, what Danny called his ‘aneurism face’. “Danny!”

Danny nodded. “Yeah. He came in early, on a private chopper, and just took a cab to the State Capitol.”

“A cab.”

“Yeah, you know, a means of public transport also known as a taxi.” Danny smirked as Steve experienced another ‘aneurism face’. “Anyway, he won’t need our services this afternoon. At least not to provide a security detail to his office.”

Chin Ho Kelly poked his head into Steve’s office. “I just got off the phone with the governor’s aide.” When both men turned to him, he continued, “Our presence is requested at State Capitol immediately.”




Hawaii State Capitol, 10.45 a.m.

Her black helmet under her arm, Reena stormed out of the building. Teeth grinding, she mentally kicked herself while calling her brother a few choice names. ‘Son of a bitch’ and ‘bastard’ were at the forefront. The son of a bitch had set her up. And the bastard had even had the gall to smile sweetly to her, while telling her everything would turn out okay and that it was time she put the past to rest.

“This is entrapment,” she seethed, while straddling her bike. And what a lovely bike it was. Another ploy of the demon inhabiting Marc’s body to smooth her feathers. But she wouldn’t allow for her feathers to be smoothed. She had reason to be pissed. And it was safely locked in the devil’s spawn’s wall-safe.

“A contract,” she spat, plunking the helmet onto her head. “He had me sign a contract before telling me everything.” She snapped the visor down and revved the bike. “And I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Bastard!”

She revved the bike again, the roar of the 1340 cc, 16-valve engine and the vibrations of the big, black beast between her legs making her feel a little better, when she noticed a sleek, silver Camaro V-6 roll around the corner.

Salivating, she put her bike in gear, caressed the throttle, and roared away.




As Steve slowed at the curb, he saw a leather-clad figure expertly maneuver a black beast of a bike through the sparse traffic.

“Now that’s something you don’t see every day around here,” Danny commented as he closed the passenger door.

“What would that be?” Chin asked from behind them.

Danny nodded toward the retreating motorcycle. “A biker in head-to-toe leather.”

“Yeah, it’s somewhere along a tie on a police officer,” Steve remarked blandly.

Chin let out an appreciative whistle as the biker leaned into the curve and disappeared from their view. “You sure don’t see a lot of ‘Busas around here.”

“What’s a Busa?”

Kono looked at Danny as if he’s grown a horn in the middle of his forehead. “A Suzuki Hayabusa.”

“Oh, you’re talking about the bike.” Danny shrugged. “Rich people toys.”

Steve just smiled, while Chin still stared to where they’ve last seen the bike. “The latest model. You’re right, rich people toys. I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on one, though. How about you, man?”

Steve absorbed the slap on the back and sighed. “I’m with you on that one. But now, children, let’s go see what the new governor has to say.


0 comments