Letting Go - Chapter 4

He KOd one of the idiotic thugs and turned to see Sara’s also taken care of the other member of the two-thug gang. He’s stumbled upon her stopping a mugging and possible rape in progress and decided to help. It had been a good opportunity to get her alone, talk to her without incurring her father’s wrath.

“You didn’t have to help, Ollie,” she said when they were on the roof, watching as the police carted the two assailants away and the would-be victim being loaded into an ambulance. “I had it under control.”

“I needed to talk to you. Alone.”

She sighed. “There’s nothing to talk about.”

“Yes, there is,” he insisted. “We never got the chance to...clear the air.”

She sighed again, but remained silent.

“I’m sorry, Sara. For everything.”

She looked at him and shook her head. “Don’t be. See, I’ve had six years to process things, and I’ve come to the conclusion it was all my fault.”

“Sara—”

“No, let me finish. I shouldn’t have gotten involved with you in the first place. Jesus, you were Laurel’s boyfriend. What kind of woman sleeps with her sister’s boyfriend?” She muttered a curse. “You were her world and I was jealous of that. From the first day you two got together, it seemed like no one else existed for her, no one else mattered. Just you. It had always been Oliver and Laurel. And I hated it. I hated her, so I decided to steal you.”

“My God, Sara.”

She smiled. “See, it wasn’t your fault. I wanted you to seduce me. I planned for you to seduce me. I knew what you felt for her, how much you loved her, and I used your own fears of those feelings against you. I’m the bad guy in this story.”

“Why, Sara? Why tell me this?”

“Because before she can forgive you, you have to forgive yourself. Not for killing me, since I’m alive, but for cheating on her with me.”

Oliver brushed his hand over the stubble on his chin. “It’s not as easy as it seems.”

“Yes it is. You were weak. You were scared of where the two of you led. And I used that weakness, that fear. I’m the one who should ask for forgiveness.” She was silent for a while. “And I will, as soon as she gets back.”

“You two haven’t spoken yet?” he asked surprised. The two women had been very close before, but he guessed stealing your sister’s boyfriend and then dying might have a negative impact on a sisterly relationship.

“No, I was gathering my courage when she left.” She touched the tip of her gloved finger to his bow. “But I can’t afford to be a coward anymore. And when I do talk to her, you’re next. Do whatever you need to do to get her back, because she deserved to be happy. You both do. And the only time I’ve seen you both happy was when you were together.”

He stopped her with a hand on her elbow when she was about to vault from the roof. “Thank you, Sara,” he said softly, meaning it. She, their weird relationship before the disaster and especially her death, was one of the catalysts that had made him who he was today. One of the catalysts that had shaped him, that had made him realize what was important in life. Who was important.

She nodded. “You’re welcome. A word of advice. Tell her the truth.” She pointed to his bow. “About this.”

“She already knows.”

“You told her?”

He shook his head. “I guess she figured it out.”

“No wonder she’s pissed.” She sighed. “Just be yourself.”

He frowned. “What do you mean.”

“To get her back. Be yourself. Your stubborn and determined self. Woo her, seduce her, use everything you know about her, because you know her better than anyone. Show her that you’ve changed. Show her you trust her and that she can trust you. Don’t let her get away, don’t give her time to breathe.”

“I wasn’t planning to,” he said, but she was already gone.


0 comments