What Men Want - Chapter 8

The argument

It was when she was once again of a normal color and they were preparing dinner side by side—he wasn’t about to let her do all the work, when just half an hour ago she was sticking her head down the toilet—that he decided to broach the subject that’s been eating at him since Saeko’s told him about the assignment.

“What do you say about a vacation, Kaori?”

She stopped chopping the carrots, glancing at him. “Vacation?”

He nodded, staring at the pan. “Vacation.”

“Why?”

“Well, you’ve just come out of the hospital and it’s clear you’re still not feeling well. So...I thought a reprieve from Tokyo would do you good.” He flipped the pancake, catching it with ease. “Umi-chan owns a cabin in the Shibukawa* area. I don’t think he’ll mind having you there for a few—”

“Whoa whoa whoa!” She turned fully toward him. “What do you mean me?”

“Well, you’re the one in need of a vacation.”

“I thought you meant a vacation for the two of us.”

He started laughing. “Oh, please, Kaori-kun! I’m not going on a vacation with you! My reputation would be ruined.”

Kaori cocked her head, studying him. If he was disappointed for not getting hammered into the wall, he didn’t show it, but that flash in his eyes gave him away more than a thousand words could.

Ryo stared at her in bewilderment. Usually, whenever he spat out something like that, she buried him under a huge mallet. But not this time. And not that morning either. There was something off in her. Has been ever since she’s woken up in the hospital. And he didn’t like it. He didn’t like the expression on her face at moments. Sometimes she looked at him as if she could read his mind, see inside his soul. And he didn’t want that. He didn’t want to feel like that. He knew it was impossible for her to be reading his mind and he was glad things were like that. He didn’t want her to know the real reason, he just wanted to get rid of her for the next couple of weeks.

Placing the knife down slowly, she leaned her hip against the counter, crossing her arms over her chest. “Okay, what is it?”

“What do you mean?”

“Why are you suddenly so worried about my health to send me on vacation. In Umibozu’s cabin, of all places. It’s probably a fort with the finest high technology available on the planet.”

He tucked his finger into the collar of his T-shirt. It was suddenly incredibly hot in the kitchen. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Bullshit!” She glared at him. “I know you, Ryo. Maybe better than I should! There’s something wrong. What did Saeko want from you? You still haven’t told me about that!”

“You were puking, remember!”

“Don’t make it sound like this is all my fault here! Why don’t you want me around?”

He rolled his eyes. “Geez! Just don’t kick my ass afterwards, okay? I want the house empty, because of a possible Mokkori-fest! There! You wanted to know and I told you...Now you’ll get all ‘Grrrr! Argh!’ on me, but—”

“I won’t!” she interrupted him. “Because it’s all a bunch of crap!”

He blinked. Since when didn’t she get pissed because of a possible Mokkori-fest? “Excuse me?”

“You’re lying through your teeth!” She punched his shoulder. “Tell me what Saeko wanted or I’ll beat it out of you!”

“You could try,” he said in a low, dangerous tone.

Kaori took a deep breath. As she suspected. This wasn’t some trivial matter, this time it might get ugly, so he wanted her someplace safe. Her features softening, she flashed him a slight smile. “Ryo. Tell me.”

“There’s nothing to tell. You’re going to Umi’s cabin for a couple of weeks and that’s that!”

She couldn’t read anything from him. So she had to rely on her ability of persuasion—which always came up short when dealing with him—but she had to try. She wasn’t about to be packed away to some godforsaken cabin in the middle of nowhere, while Ryo stayed back, battling whatever evil came his way.

Arms akimbo, she planted herself in the middle of the kitchen. “I’m not going!”

Ryo clenched his teeth. He was used to her defying him every way she could and he’s grown accustomed to humoring her, but this time it was too serious a matter. It was too dangerous. “I’m not hearing of it, Kaori! You’re not staying here!”

“Why not?!”

“Because I say so!”

“Sorry to disappoint, but I’m old enough to make my own decisions and if you’ve forgotten we’re not related or anything, which would give you enough power over me to dictate what I do or don’t do.”

He opened his mouth to say something.

“Hold it a sec! If you want me out of the house that bad you’ll have to tell me the truth.”

“I am telling you the truth!”

She gave him a condescending stare. “Please. Since when do you need me out of the way to attempt a Mokkori-fest? My complaints and mallets never stopped you before and you learned even to wiggle your way out of a futon. So stop with the bullshit and tell me the truth.”

He sighed, but she wasn’t yet finished.

“Then and only then, will I consider your offer of vacation.”

His face darkening, he grabbed her shoulders. “You won’t consider a thing. Maybe we’re not related, but I’m still older than you and know what’s best, especially in our line of work.”

She glared back. “Ryo—”

“Shut up!”

Her eyes flew wide. He’s never treated her like that.

“You’re going to do as you’re told! Now eat something and then go pack.”

With a hurt expression, she turned, and stormed out of the kitchen.



As a door banged closed somewhere in the apartment, Ryo winced. Sighing, he ran his fingers through his hair. Maybe he’s gone too far this time, but he couldn’t allow her to stay with him. Not this time. Protecting a Yakuza widow usually wasn’t such a hard and dangerous job, but with this particular Yakuza widow, things were very different.

Hitotsugi Takeru’s most fateful subjects suspected his young wife, Amaya, of pulling the strings for his murder, resulting in her fleeing and fearing for her life. Yakuza were dangerous in any circumstance, but with the widow of one of the most powerful and ruthless bosses of them all living under his roof, being protected by him, his apartment was bound to become the most sought out target in the Tokyo area—if it wasn’t already. And what better way to strike at City Hunter than go after his partner. Even little children knew the drill. He needed to get Kaori to safety as soon as possible, regardless of her objections.

Kaori burst into the kitchen, her eyes sparkling with fire. “How dare you not tell me something like this?! I’m your partner, remember? You’re supposed to tell me everything regarding our work!”

His jaw locked. “What are you talking about?”

“You accepted to protect Hitotsugi’s widow!” She lowered her voice slightly. “Why didn’t you just tell me, Ryo?”

How could she possibly know any of it? “What are you talking about?” he repeated.

“Don’t play coy with me, Ryo! I know everything! Everything!”

His eyes darkened. “And how would you happen to know?” he asked silkily.

“I...uhm...I talked to Saeko.”

Ryo wanted to kick himself. Why didn’t he tell Saeko not to say anything to Kaori?

Kaori smiled slyly. She’s saved herself at the last minute. Nice one about Saeko telling her everything. Besides, he’d have her locked up in a nuthouse if she told him she could read his mind.

“That doesn’t change anything, though!”

Her eyes narrowed. “Meaning?”

“You’re still going to Umi’s cabin.”

“Am not!”

“Kaori...”

“Don’t growl. You don’t frighten me, mister.” She poked him in the stomach. “We’re in this together. Or have you forgotten I was with you on that roof?”

How could he forget? “And that’s precisely why I want you gone for a few weeks.”

“I wasn’t the one pulling the trigger!”

“That’s not the point!”

“What is the point then?!”

He closed his eyes briefly to calm himself. They needed to stop yelling or everyone in the neighborhood would learn of his assignment.

“Kaori. Try to listen to reason.”

She huffed. He was talking to her about listening to reason. Unbelievable!

“Her husband’s thugs suspect she had something to do with his murder.”

“I know.” She rolled her eyes.

“She’ll be here for protection.”

Kaori started tapping her foot.

“This apartment, this neighborhood, might turn into a war zone.”

She started whistling softly.

“And I want you out of harm’s way.” There!

Her eyes sparked. “Why do you always make me sound like a complete loser?!”

Where did that come from? He’s said nothing about any losers. “Huh?”

“Because I’m not a failure, Ryo. I can take care of myself.”

“Like you did a week ago?!”

She flinched at his roar. But she’d be damned if she’d let him put her down like this. “That has nothing to do with this!”

“Oh really?” He towered menacingly above her. “You didn’t take care of yourself then, and you ended up in a hospital! Tell me how that could possibly have nothing to do with this case?”

She stood on tiptoes, so they were almost eye to eye. “Because it hasn’t! I was careless that night, I admit to that! But now I know to be careful. I have some warning.”

He opened his mouth to say something and she smiled. “I won’t let anything happen to me, Ryo,” she whispered. “I promise.”

That shut him up. How come she was the only one to ever know what he was thinking. How could she always read him so easily?

“But—”

“No buts. We’re in this together as always.” She stepped back, extending her hand. “Partners?”

He stared at her hand, his emotions warring inside him. What was he to do? Trample all over her wishes and stash her to safety or risk her life and his sanity by obliging her and letting her stay?

Kaori kept smiling up at him, her heart squeezing as his conflicting thoughts echoed inside her head.

Ryo grinned, grabbing her hand. “Partners.” He pulled her closer, and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. For life.

Kaori grinned.


* Shibukawa is a city in the Gunma prefecture, 150 km NW of Tokyo.


0 comments