My muse went a little nuts

In my previous blog post I wrote about how many fanfiction are waiting to be finished, some are barely started, and some are just drabbles, yet my muse has taken a vacation and I'm stuck.

Well, he/she is back.

Only to wreak even more havoc on my writing life.

You see, I'm a strange creature when it comes to writing. Or better, when it comes to choosing what to write at a certain moment. I can start something because I'm fed up with what the writers of a show are doing, it can be a visit to a country (Japan in the case of my first City Hunter fanfiction in years), it's my rooting for the underdog, a thought as to how a movie could've veered in a different direction...And sometimes is a glimpse of something new.

That's what happened now, and there are so many words and sentences now jumbling about in my brain, itching to get out.

I was hoping it would be the new NCIS spin-off—NCIS: New Orleans, but it wasn't to be. I was a huge fan of NCIS, even before Ziva (and later Tiva) appeared. But I stopped watching partly because I loved the dynamic that Cote de Pablo's character brought to the series and the interactions between the team members, but mostly because they lost me. It's been more than 10 seasons. How many more cases can they make up without becoming repetitive?
So I hoped the change of venue and cast might ignite a spark.

Zilch.

I've watched four episodes (+ the introductory two) so far, and I'm just not feeling it.

And then this past Sunday happened. Do you know what you get if you leave me alone with the TV on an afternoon when I'm a little blue and too bored to read a good book (of which there are plenty still waiting on my TBR pile)? You get me channel-surfing and stumbling upon a "new" series on a Croatian TV channel.
It looked historical, so I lingered, ignoring the subtitles, since it was in English. Turned out to be a BBC miniseries retelling the tale of The Three Musketeers.

And I was hooked.

Now I can't get this idea for a story out of my head, and will probably spend the extended holiday weekend (we're celebrating our statehood tomorrow) to write it all down. A prologue and the first chapters are already spelled out in my head, and I've come up for a perfect "reveal" scene for later in the story.

I can't wait! I'm giddy like a little girl. All because of a new story forming.

And it only took me an episode and a half to get to this point. Imagine what watching the two seasons would do. I might not survive. So I decided not to watch the series, until I have at least a handful of chapters written.

I can't wait to start! I already have the music selection planned. I can't write without music, but I can't even contemplate writing a historical fanfiction based on The Three Musketeers with a "modern" soundtrack. I'll just use The Man in the Iron Mask soundtrack for the time being. I'm listening to one of the musical pieces now and getting goosebumps.

I can't wait!


0 comments